Saturday, March 25, 2006

Convention Malaise

I attended my 2nd Tarrant County Democratic Convention today. It was what most conventions of any organization are- a rallying of spirit, long lines, packaged food, resolutions, give and take, cartoon-ish moments, some quotation speeches, and a slap on the butt to activate the masses.

What struck me about this convention was the undercurrents of tension among the delegates. Here we are, the Democratic party, the party of inclusion and openness and civil rights. Yet, from what I heard, we as a party, as a state and as a nation are far from past the race issue. I was downright ashamed of some of my fellow delegates.

One older gentleman - I call him Self-Appointed Registration Traffic Director- told me as our registration line snaked by him that the problem with his senate district was that "all the colored people want to do is vote. They don't want to participate." I would have liked to have responded, "What the fuck, dude, that is totally inappropriate." But I just stuttered some incoherent response about George Bush being a natural disaster. (I was reading that off the back of the person in line in front of me, trying to mentally make the line move faster so I could get past Self-Appointed.)

Then, there was Mr. God Bless the U.S.A. America. Mr. America was decked out in an American flag ballcap, an American flag button-down shirt and had an American flag tote bag on his lap. Mr. America was sitting in 1149's row for the opening session. While I never saw any protocol on where it was appropriate to sit, most attendees sat with their Senate Districts from what I observed. When a group of African American 1149-ers tried to sit in their precinct row, which was occupied by Mr. America and his wife, Mrs. America, Mr. America scoffed at them, "That's for later. Sit somewhere else." When one of the women responded, "Sir, I've been coming to these things for 20 years, and we've always sat by precinct," Mr. America sneered at her. "Well, bless your heart," he said. "Now move on." I wondered if Mr. America speaks like that to everyone he disagrees with, or just people he believes he is superior to.

These comments, spoken in the nooks and crannies of delegate downtime rather than on the grand stage of a resolution, made me feel like we as a party, we as a county and we as a state have a long, sacred road to walk before we can stand together united in color, thoughts and beliefs.

On the lighter side, here are some tidbits that made me giggle
Overheard: "Art Brender is happier than a pig in shit."
Overheard: "Look, Joe Johnson fell asleep again."
Overheard: "I hope Chris Bell gets done soon or I'm going to have to leave. And I really want to vote for the resolutions dealing with the war."
Copy Editor Funny: S.D. 10 passed a resolution with the word 'computational' in it. (computational's not a word)

The Lawyer has more overheards, he was actually taking notes.
Annatopia has a post on the innerworkings of the resolution committee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home